Tuesday 12 July 2011

July 11-12 Arnamurchan and Skye

I can't describe the satisfaction I felt rounding Ardnamurchan today. Three years ago I boarded a yacht and decided to learn to sail, green but keen. I worked hard and tried to sail as many boats as I could, I trained and I sailed thousands and thousands of miles. I bought a beautiful little boat and learned how to care of her. Today a dream came true.

This morning after a very sociable time in Mull, we sailed out of the sound  and turned north towards Skye. To see the towering outline on the Isles is a dream I have dreamed so many times. We hugged the coast and passed Ardnamurchan, a place whose name I heard spoken so many times when listening to the Shipping forecast. At last I am able to sail past it, tipping my cap to the famous light.

On our way north the beauty of the scenery is matched by the richness of life these waters hold. Rafts of Manx shearwaters, guillemots, seals, fish were seen.

Rupes takes charge of the helm

Ardnamurchan

Moidart

Ruins to explore

Beautiful anchorage

Impromptu tasting

The loch

We entered the rocky labrynth that guards the entrance to Loch Moidart passing colonies of common seal lazing on the rocks. Inching our way carefully between the rocks we arrived at the middle part of the loch with its central island. It is beautiful beyond words. on the edge of the southern side a ruined castle stands sentinal. Anchor dropped we pumped up the dinghy and went exploring. We met a few cruise entrants and had an impromptu whiskey tasting on a beach beneath the castle which Rupes explored. Bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment