Tuesday 2 August 2011

August 2 Green-living to Gregorian Chants, Diversity is Key

Diversity is the word to describe yesterday, sounds like an HSBC airport billboard advert, but it sums up the day. In the wee rental car I pottered along the Moray coast trying to get a feel for the place.

Out of Inverness I turned east towards Nairn with its pretty beach and snug harbour. The sky here seems endless and vast and dominates the scenery. It is a simple beach resort thankfully devoid of the candyfloss, chip shops and slot-machines, Just a pretty sandy beach.  Onwards towards Fosse but approaching the heart of whiskey making territory I spied a brown sign informing us a distillery was not far.
Never one to miss an opportunity and with a quick hand-brake turn  we bounced along a small road to Benromach Distillery. It is a newly resurrected concern and one of the smallest in the business. The friendly staff allowed me a few tastings without having to endure yet another tour. Delicious! Fate must have led me here as Benromach has a sailing connection and is a sponsor of the Clipper Race. Sir Robin K-J an all time hero of mine is the brand ambassador. Life leads you to where you need to be.

A short distance away was Findhorn, which had been mentioned by several people as being a pretty harbour so I decided to stop an decide for myself. Passing Kinloss a now defunct, as of yesterday, air force base which was home to the Nimrods, I noticed the sign for the Findhorn Foundation. I had read about it in a book, Adrift in Caledonia. It is an eco- sustainable alternative community. A bit, commune with neat clapboard houses, alternative without the tie-dye and it has been growing since the 70's. It was a friendly place and it is nice to see people committed to putting their beliefs into practice.

I then wanted to visit Elgin but was again distracted by a sign that spoke to me, Pluscarden. I drove through the remote wooded hills thinking that I really didn't want to breakdown here until I reached the sign for Pluscarden Abbey. It is a 13th century Monastery which was a ruin but restored and returned to use in the 20th Century by a Benedictine order. I was apprehensive to enter the gates as it was late and there were no visitors cars, but I needed to see the Abbey so ignoring the private signs and the distant car park I slowly drove up to the deserted Abbey Church. Expecting it to be closed or to be told to leave I was instead greeted by a smiling monk and a Tamil family waiting to have their picture taken together, I was their photographer delivered by divine intervention!  I stayed for the evening Vespers, the most divine Gregorian chants sang in Latin by the monks. It was the most serene and wonderfully spiritual moment of my trip. The Abbey is a special place and again a place raised and made what it is by the extreme commitment of the people inhabiting it. I was given a blessing for my  picture taking and left feeling that little bit better about life. Again we are led where we need to be.

Picking up my laundry I went from the serene to the ridiculous and spent the rest of the evening watching a film at the local Vue cinema, eating a Burger King cheeseburger and shopping for washing up liquid at the 24 hr Tesco. How's that for diversity in a day!

Findhorn Bay

Pluscarden Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment