Saturday 14 May 2011

May 14 Sail Fast but Live Slow

Some people plan their passages by pressing a few buttons on a chartplotter and are satisfied with the ease accuracy and speed of the outcome, perfectly okay if that floats your boat, and then there are people like me who gain great satisfaction from putting pencil to paper, doing the maths and scanning the charts. There is something intensely satisfying with a result gained by some mental graft. To the modern navigators this act is intensely annoying and seen as a waste of time. I know the plotter and its calculations are far more accurate than my feeble mental maths and yes I could be spending that time in otherways but still I make no excuses I enjoy doing it the slow hard way. Perthaps that's why I enjoy sailing. One could argue there are far quicker more efficient ways of moving from point A to B but there is an art and an elegance to doing things in a slow manner which relies on thought and the hand of he or she who drives and decides combined with a reliance on nature and its forces. That is why I prefer manual winches, a tiller, a small boat and paper charts. That is why the act of sailing gives me a sense of freedom, I am free from the fast pace of the modern world.
 Neyland next to Milford Haven

Not a tanker in sight

Time to relax

So weather bound in Milford Haven, I am not frustrated but glad for the time to explore a new place, contemplate my journey and slowly go about the tasks I am often rushed to do when having to press on.
SAIL FAST BUT LEARN TO LIVE SLOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment