Tuesday 31 May 2011

May 31 The Irony of Sailing

I have just arrived back in London for a two day break to see my beloved boys. It took me four weeks to arrive in Largs and all that hard graft was undone by a one and a half hour flight from Glasgow. It was hard to leave Rumline this morning as I saw the day break shedding light on Cumbrae and watching the morning light dance on the water. It has been a long journey but this way of traveling is far more satisfying than the inhumanity of airports and air-travel. I see its efficiency but it gives no pleasure.  Few people have the opportunity to travel on slow boats nowadays, it is expensive and modern life runs at a relentless pace which does not wait.
Last night I went to Farlie a small village next to Largs for a pint and supper. This town was once on the cutting edge of transport. It was the home of the Fife built yachts, the marine Ferraris of their day. Beautiful exotic birds which plied the Clyde and raced for honour in the early days of the Americas Cup. The boatyard no longer exists and has been replaced by pastel townhouses. The only hint of this towns illustrious past  is a small plaque on one house. It is a pity that so little has been preserved to acknowledge the skilled men who created such beautiful boats. Progress can be cruel at times.
Cumbrae

Arran

So back here at my kitchen table I sit my head in a spin from the hectic pace I am no longer used to. I will enjoy my break, and my boys but I will be glad to return to the peace and beauty of Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment